• What does Agamemnon do to create the problem?
• Why is Achilles so angry at Agamemnon?
• What do the Achaeans do to appease Apollo?
• What kind of relationship do Thetis and Achilles have?
• What's Hera's reaction to Zeus' agreement with Thetis?
• The book introduces us to most of the main characters. What kind of initial reaction
do you have to each?
QUIZ ON THE BOOK:
1. What character is known as the "swift runner"?
2. What incident causes Apollo to send a plague to kill the Achaeans?
3. Why does Agamemnon not want to give back Chryseis?
4. What kind of relationship do Achilles and Agamemnon have?
5. What does Agamemnon want in return for returning Chryseis?
6. What do the Achaeans do to appease Apollo?
7. How is Achilles' housing described?
8. Why can't Thetis go immediately to ask Zeus for help?
9. What does Thetis ask of Zeus?
10. What kind of pose does one have to do when begging Zeus something?
11. What gesture does Zeus give which shows he will help?
12. Why did Achilles believe that Zeus would help?
THOUGHT QUESTIONS :
• Note the parallels between the mourning Achilles does and the reactions of Hector's family
and city. Do you think Homer sympathizes with the Trojans or the Achaens?
• The impact of war on the civilian population is shown quite powerfully in Andromache's
speech [lines 560-605]. What makes the speech so powerful?
QUIZ ON THE BOOK:
1. Why does Hector decide to stay and fight Achilles
2. How many times does Hector run around the city of Troy?
3. What does Zeus suggest that is ridiculed by Athena?
4. How does Athena trick Hector?
5. What happens to Achilles spear?
6. When does Hector realize he has been tricked?
7. What is the only vunerable place on Achilles/Hector's armor?
8. What does Achilles tell Hector will happen to his body?
9. How do the Acheans react to Hector's dead body?
10. What does Andromache do when she sees Hector's body
• What view of Achilles do we get at the beginning of the book?
• What does the arguement among the gods tells us about how they view Achilles and Hector?
• How is Achilles' lodging described?
• Does Achilles have a true change of heart or is he only doing what he is commanded to do?
• What are the differences between the Trojan preparations and funeral and the Achaeans'?
• How long does Helen say she's been gone from Achaea?
QUIZ ON THE BOOK:
1. Where does Achilles drag Hector's body?
2. What does Apollo do to protect Hector's body?
3. What decree does Zeus give Thetis?
4. What is Achilles reaction to Zeus' decision?
5. What message is Priam given?
6. How does Priam convey the ransom to Achilles?
7. What sign from Zeus calms Hecuba's concern for Priam's safety?
8. Who leads Priam to Achilles?
9. What does Priam talk about which stirs Achilles' pity?
10. How many days does Priam say he needs for Hector's funeral
11. Why does Priam leave early?
RESEARCH THE HISTORY OF THE "HECATOMB" AND RITUAL
SACRIFICES IN GENERAL. HOW DID THEY EVOLVE? PROVIDE
EXAMPLES OF VARIOUS CULTURES AND THEIR SACRIFICES
THROUGH TIME. ARE THERE ANY GOING ON TODAY? WHERE? AFTER
DEFINING THE HECATOMB AND RITUAL SACRIFICE, THE REST OF
THIS PROJECT SHOULD BE IN THE FORM OF A TIMELINE THAT CAN
BE DONE ON A POSTER, POWERPOINT OR OTHER APPROVED
MEDIUM. (50 POINTS)
RESEARCH THE "PRIZES" OF WAR THROUGH TIME. NOTE THE
CHANGES THROUGH HISTORY AND HOW THESE "PRIZES" DIFFERED
FROM CULTURE TO CULTURE AND ERA TO ERA. START WITH THE
GREEKS DURING THE TIME OF THE ILIAD AND TAKE IT THROUGH TO
TODAY. DOES IT STILL HAPPEN TODAY? IF NOT, WHAT IS THE MOST
RECENT EXAMPLE? GIVE A PRESENTATION TO THE CLASS
DESCRIBING AND DEFINING THE VARIOUS "PRIZES" OF WAR OR
CREATE A POWERPOINT PRESENTING THE SAME THING. (50) POINTS
***DONT FORGET TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS FOR EACH BOOK AS
WELL THAT ARE LISTED BELOW.***
|BOOKS 22 AND 24
RESEARCH THE HISTORY OF "BURIAL RIGHTS." HOW HAVE THEY
EVOLVED? PROVIDE EXAMPLES OF HOW PEOPLE HAVE BEEN LAID
TO REST THROUGH TIME AND NOTE THE DIFFERENCES FOR THOSE
OF DIFFERENT CLASSES AND CULTURES. PICK FIVE WHICH YOU
CONSIDER THE MOST INTERESTING AND PREPARE ADVERTISMENTS
FOR THOSE THROUGH THE FOLLOWING FIVE MEDIA. MAGAZINE AD,
RADIO AD, TV. AD, A T-SHIRT, AND MAILER. YOU WILL BE ACTING AS
A COMPANY THAT PROVIDES THIS TYPE OF BURIAL SERVICE. AN
EXAMPLE WILL BE PROVIDED IN CLASS. (125 POINTS)